The Army Deployed Tanks In Myanmar’S Main Cities To Suppress The Protests

2021-02-14   |   by CusiGO

Myanmar’s security forces (former Myanmar) continued to escalate violence against hundreds of thousands of protestors who protested the coup that ended nearly a decade of democratic transition on February 1. On Sunday, tanks and military vehicles were deployed in several cities as they opened fire to disperse crowds at a power plant in Kachin state, Tensions, including in Rangoon, intensified before the detention of the de facto head of the democratically elected government, Aung San Suu Kyi, ended on Monday, as protestors demanded her release.

In Myitkyina, the capital of Kachin state, images broadcast live on Facebook and other social media showed that Burmese security forces opened fire on protestors to disperse a rally at a power plant. It is not clear whether it was a real bullet or a rubber ball. According to Reuters, soldiers were deployed in an industrial area in Kachin state – where there were frequent tensions between the army and separatist groups – where there were protests and, in some cases, clashed with protestors who believed the army was trying to cut off electricity nearby.

The escalation of violence used by the police and the army intensified nearly two weeks later in La asonada, the first since 1988. Among dozens of people, the army arrested Aung San Suu Kyi on February 1. Aung San Suu Kyi’s party, the National League for Democracy (NLD), swept her through the election last November, claiming that the election was fraudulent and that there was no support from any body supervising the election.

Since the weekend, hundreds of thousands of people have been protesting day after day against coups in several cities in the country, including the main city of Rangoon. The protestors have demanded the release of Aung San Suu Kyi and the restoration of democratic order. This Sunday afternoon, as night fell, tanks and armed vehicles took over the streets of Yangon, as well as cities like Myitkyina and Sittwe (the capital of the western state of rakin, where the Rohingya Muslim minority, alleged victims of the army’s genocide, lives), This is the first relevant deployment since the coup.

In the light of recent developments, the U.S. embassies in Myanmar and Spain urged their citizens to stay at home and seek asylum, and warned that telecommunications between 1 p.m. and 9 p.m. local time might be interrupted, It raised fears that the blackout could be used for further persecution. On February 8, the military government, still under its command, declared martial law in several cities, imposed a curfew from 8 pm to 4 am, and banned assembly of more than five people.

Myanmar society has posed a large-scale challenge to this order. In addition to large-scale protests, government officials organized strikes as part of the civil disobedience movement against the coup. According to local media reports, trains from all over the country stopped running over the weekend as many workers refused to go to work, a rebellion that the board threatened to take action.

Although the arrest warrant for Aung San Suu Kyi will expire on February 15, she is unlikely to be released because she is accused of violating import and export laws after discovering radio tracking equipment (walkie talkie) in her home and could be sentenced to up to three years’ imprisonment. Aung San Suu Kyi was under house arrest for 15 years before the democratic transition that began in 2011 after half a century of military dictatorship (since 1962).

Fears of further repression have also intensified after the junta announced Friday the release of 23000 prisoners, because in the past, during democratic demonstrations that killed thousands in 1988, the army was accused of infiltrating criminals and attacking people. According to the political prisoners Aid Association, more than 384 people have been arrested, especially during night time arrests.